Frequently asked questions renting

Here you will find everything about renting from a.s.r. real estate and the answers to the most common questions. Is your question not listed? Please send an email to

Renting from a.s.r. real estate

  • At a.s.r. real estate, you can find all kinds of rental properties: from apartments and studios to spacious family homes with a garden. We rent houses all over the Netherlands, but especially in the Randstad region.

  • If you wish to rent one of our homes, general registration conditions apply. Ask the rental manager for the property you wish to rent for more details.

  • You register with the rental manager in the region where you would like to live.

    Go to rental managers
  • Tenants must have sufficient income and/or capital to pay the rent.

    The following income requirements apply:

    Target group

    Minimum income requirement*


    Gross monthly income of 3x the monthly rent

    Candidates for apartments < €1000

    Gross monthly income of 4x the monthly rent

    Candidates for apartments between €1000 and €1250

    Gross monthly income of 3.75x the monthly rent

    Candidates for apartments over €1250

    Gross monthly income of 3.5x the monthly rent

    Candidates for Friends apartments

    Gross monthly income of 4x half of the monthly rent for both candidates


    2nd income counts for 100%

    Monthly rent = basic rent of the house (+ rent of parking space if mandatory)


  • The manager of your property is our partner in the region where you live. You can contact the manager with all your questions about your home. Look here for the list of managers per region.

    Go to administrators and rental managers
  • For handling repairs, a.s.r. real estate works with Jansen Huybregts, a national maintenance company.

    How do I submit a repair request?

    • By phone: Call 088-0221492 (24 hours a day)
    • If a.s.r. real estate is your manager, you can submit your repair request on the MijnWoning tenant portal. The portal also allows you to view the status of your request.

    Please note: Emergencies should always be reported by phone. 

    Your repair request will be forwarded directly to our contractor Jansen Huybregts. They will assess the request and contact you to discuss your repair or to make an appointment for repair immediately.

    You will receive an email to confirm receipt of your repair request.

    Do I also need to call the manager?

    No, the contractor will keep the manager informed of your repair request.

  • By law, the Minor Repairs (Tenant’s Liability) Decree states that as a tenant you are responsible for minor repairs in and around the house. You are also expected to pay for them. However, we understand that some repairs may be difficult for you, or you may not have the time or inclination to do them yourself. 

    That’s why a.s.r. real estate offers to takes care of them for you. Many of the repairs that would normally have to be carried out and paid for by you personally can be reported to our maintenance partner Jansen Huybregts. They will carry out this repair work for you on behalf of a.s.r. real estate. You will not be charged for these repairs.

    In the maintanance guide [dutch only] you can find and an extensive list of the type of repairs that are covered. On this list, the repairs that a.s.r. real estate carries out for you as an extra service are referred to as ‘a.s.r. extra’.

    Download maintenance guide [dutch only]
  • Do you have plans for major changes to your home? And are you wondering whether you need to submit an official request? Please check with your manager.

    Go to administrators and rental managers
  • Many apartment complexes have a caretaker. You can ask your property manager whether this applies to the complex where you live. The cost of the caretaker is covered by your service charges.

    Go to administrators and rental managers
  • When you leave the home you are renting (i.e. terminate your tenancy), you must leave the property as you found it on the day your tenancy agreement began. To make sure this happens, the rental manager will pay you a visit to see what needs to be done to the property before you move out. This visit is known as a preliminary inspection. The rental manager explains what needs to be done. Shortly before you actually leave the house, a final inspection will also take place. The rental manager will come back and check whether you are actually leaving the house in good condition. If you do not leave the house as agreed in the preliminary inspection, you may be charged for any additional work required.

    Download checklist final inspection [dutch only]
  • When you give notice to terminate your tenancy, the rental manager will call or email you to make an appointment. During this appointment you will walk through your home together and agree on things that you need to replace or any changes that need to be made. If you have any questions about the preliminary inspection, please contact your rental manager.

    Download checklist final inspection [dutch only]
  • The rental manager will call or email you to make an appointment. During this appointment you will walk through your home together and the rental manager will check whether you have done everything agreed to leave the property in good condition. Then you will hand over the keys. If your home does not meet the agreements made during the preliminary inspection, you may be charged for any additional work required. If you have any questions about the final inspection, please contact your rental manager.

    Download checklist final inspection [dutch only]

Service charges

  • You are required to pay service charges in addition to your basic rent. These charges cover the cost of maintaining and managing the spaces you share with other residents in the building. These may include the cost of gas, water, electricity, the caretaker, cleaning and garden maintenance. Precise details of what is covered by these service charges are stated in your tenancy agreement. These costs may not be the same for each tenant. The amount depends on the property you live in. The government has determined what services may be included in these charges.

  • Your tenancy agreement includes details of the service charges you are required to pay. These may include:

    • Miscellaneous/small maintenance;
    • Charges for the use of water or heating;
    • Cleaning costs for shared areas;
    • Caretaker fees;
    • Telephone line in the lift;
    • Electricity costs for shared areas.
  • You pay service charges throughout the year. These are advance payments based on the estimated service costs. Once a year, a.s.r. real estate calculates the actual service costs for the period from 1 January to 31 December. a.s.r. aims to send you a statement within six months of the end of each calendar year.

    If a home is unoccupied for a time, a.s.r. covers the service charges that would normally be paid by the occupier

  • a.s.r. real estate can only draw up the annual balance for the service charges at the end of the calendar year when all the actual costs are known. This also applies to tenants who terminate their agreement earlier in the year. As soon as the actual costs are known, we will draw up a balance and inform you accordingly. We will then settle this balance with you. That is why we need to know your new address when you move out.

  • Like your rent, service charges can increase over time. For example, this is the case when the cost of the services provided goes up. You may also have used more heating or electricity in a particular year. Your service charges can also be reduced if it turns out that you have paid much more in advance than the actual costs or if you have used considerably less heating or electricity. You will be notified of any changes to your service charges. We will base the new amount on the settlement statement for the past year. We also take into account any expected price increases or decreases in service costs.

  • You can call us on working days between 8 am and 5 pm on + 31 (0)30 257 85 63 or send an email to

  • If you cannot reach an agreement with a.s.r. real estate, you can submit an objection to the Rent Assessment Committee. This is an independent government organisation that deals with disputes between tenants and landlords on issues including service charges for rental properties. You can submit your objection using a form that you can request from the Rent Assessment Committee. Go to or call 0800 4887243.

    Please note: If you have a deregulated tenancy agreement, you cannot call in the Rent Assessment Committee in the event of a dispute about service charges. In that case you have to obtain a court ruling.

Tenancy agreement


  • Your rent must always be transferred to us before the first of the month. You can find the bank account number on our invoices.

  • Your rent must always be transferred to us before the first of the month. If we do not receive your payment on time, you will first receive a reminder. If we do not receive your payment within 15 days of the date on the reminder, we will have to call in the bailiff. This means that:

    • you will pay the costs of the legal proceedings;
    • your tenancy agreement will be terminated.

    The consequences of failing to pay your rent will also affect your partner and any contractual co-tenants or housemates.

  • If you are no longer able to pay your rent, please contact us on 030-2578563 or the number printed on your reminder or demand for payment. We are available on working days between 8.00 and 17.00. Together we will discuss the options open to you.

  • Benefits

    The main benefit is that you never have to worry about paying your rent on time. If you think an amount may have been debited from your account incorrectly, you can reverse the payment yourself quickly and easily. Your bank can also do this for you.

    How does it work?

    Applying to pay by direct debit is simple. All you have to do is call our office on a working day between 8.00 and 17.00 on 030-2578563. We will send you a form. Once you have completed and returned the form, your payments will be made by direct debit from then on. 

  • If your bank account number changes, please let us know by sending an email to Don’t forget to include your name and address. It takes approximately ten days to process a new bank account number.

  • Please call us on 030-2578563. We are available on working days between 8.00 and 17.00.

  • You may wish to object to:

    • a penalty for early termination of your tenancy;
    • a bill for transaction costs;
    • a settlement of the service charges;
    • an adjustment to an invoice;
    • another bill.

    Call us on 030-2578563 or send an email to

Other questions

  • a.s.r. real estate manages the ASR Dutch Core Residential Fund. This fund focuses on the residential property sector in the Netherlands. This means that we rent, sell, manage and acquire homes on behalf of the ASR Dutch Core Residential Fund.

    As a tenant, you pay your rent to a.s.r. real estate

  • If you have a complaint about our services or those of the manager, you can submit it to your manager. You can also file a complaint online.

    File your complaint